UPDATE: January 14, 2012
And the winners are…
Hey, folks. The giveaway is over and Random.org has picked these lucky winners:
Congratulations to Traci, Bambi, and Eric! I’ll be sending you all an official email so you can tell me where to send the loot. I know you were all eager to have my autograph, but — alas! — I’m in Italy and the books are in the U.S., so they’re coming to you nekkid. 🙂
And a big thank you to everyone who stopped by to wish me well on my launch last week. The last seven days have really been a whirlwind of getting to know new readers and other bloggers through reading, commenting, subscribing, tweeting, and otherwise being sociable from my little corner of the world — and I’ve loved every minute of it! I’m really looking forward to becoming a fixture in the kidlit blogosphere and hanging out with all you fabulous people.
See you in a couple days with another Poetry Monday video!
Hello, dear readers!
It’s only taken me 11 months, but the launch of No Water River is finally afoot. And to celebrate, I’m giving away copies of my book
Lizard Lou: a collection of rhymes old and new to three of you! Co-authored with Marie Rippel of All About Learning Press, Lizard Lou is a 112-page read-aloud book of children’s verse featuring 43 new poems by yours truly and 35 traditional rhymes and poems, curated by Marie, by renowned children’s poets including Leroy F. Jackson, C. J. Dennis, Vachel Lindsay, Ralph Bergengren, and more. There’s even an Emily Dickinson in there!
I’ll get back to the giveaway in a minute. First, let’s get the basics out of the way…
Who am I?
That’s a loaded question, but in a nutshell, I’m a full-time freelance editor and children’s writer who thus far has co-authored several volumes of early readers (see the PB Library for more info) — and I LOVE it! Between readers, I’m branching out to try my hand at traditional picture books. And because I’m a verse writer by nature, I’m going to force myself to write in prose and see how it goes. (Darn! You see?) Butterflies!
Other weird tidbits are available on the About page, if you’re so inclined.
What does “No Water River” mean?
That question is best answered in my first angst-ridden post about an ornery poem.
What happens here?
As the tagline says, I’d like NWR to be the picture book and poetry place where kids and parents can find great books and have some fun with poetry, too. To that end, the blog is anchored by Poetry Monday and Perfect Picture Book Friday.
But I’m also a writer with particular experience in verse, so I’ll be blogging about that, too, and offering resources and exercises for those of you who’d like to brush up on your rhymin’.
Here’s the blog schedule:
- Monday: Poetry Monday featuring my video poems and activity sheets.
- Tuesday: Open. I often blog on language and grammar at All About Learning Press on Tuesdays, so stop on by!
- Wednesday: One-Word Wednesday for writers and illustrators. Launching next Wednesday, January 11. Stay tuned!
- Thursday: Wild Card. Reserved for posts on writing, poetry, the 12×12 challenge, and other writerly things, or for interviews, blog roundups, and special features. I have things up my sleeves!
- Friday: Perfect Picture Book Friday, a picture book review event hosted by Susanna Leonard Hill.
- Weekends: I shalt resteth and tapeth my poetry videos on the weekends.
And now back to the giveaway!
This is a Rafflecopter thingy, which means it’s all automated and there are several “tasks” to choose from, from subscribing to the blog over in the sidebar to commenting on a poetry video post like If I Were an Ocelot.
Do these two things:
- Sign in to the Rafflecopter widget with your name and email. This is the only way to be officially entered into the giveaway!
- You will see a list of tasks with big green buttons next to them. Click on the ones you want to complete, and follow the instructions. The more you complete, the more times your name goes in the hat to increase your chances. Nifty!
IMPORTANT: You must sign in with your email to the Rafflecopter widget below in order to be “officially” entered into the giveaway!
The giveaway is open until midnight next Friday, January 13 (spooky!), and I’ll announce the winners the next day. Good luck!
It’s been a long road, and I would be remiss if I didn’t thank some people I’ve never met before (except for a couple) who gave me the virtual kick in the pants I needed to get this show on the road. So without further ado, my most heartfelt thanks to:
joining SCBWI and subsequently being adopted by Dana Carey of the Paris chapter (thanks, France!), which led me to…
Dave LaTulippe (yeah, that’s my bro!) and Jeff Sarris of SpyrMedia, who not only donated my lovely banner, but who also cheerfully bailed me out of several non-techie-fiddling-with-code meltdowns along the way.
Thanks, all you wonderful people!
And thanks to all of you for stopping by. Feel free to snoop around, drop me a line, whatever you like. I look forward to getting to know you all!